From: Eric Sheley [mailto:eric@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 1999 2:59 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Octane Rating

Rich wrote:

>I read the various answers to this one and am in some disagreement, so let
>me throw in my 2 cents.
>
>The manual calls for, if I recall correctly, 95 RON (Research Octane
Number).
>There are actually two different methods of calculating octane: research
>octane and motor octane.  In the US, the number you see on the pump is
>actually the average, (R+M)/2.  The pump will usually have this equation
>written on the pump, without explaining anything about what the damn thing
>means.  Motor octane is usually a couple of points below the research
>octane, so a research octane of 95 corresponds to a motor octane of about
>93 and a pump label octane in the US of 94.  The best gasoline around here
>is 94 labeled octane, which will be about 95 research octane and therefore
>meets Triumph spec, and that's Super Shell.

The following is from the Triumph Sprint ST service manual and hopefully
will clear things up:

Fuel Requirements - all countries EXCEPT USA

Outside America, all motorcycles are designed to be run on 95 RON unleaded
fuel.

Fuel Requirements - USA

In the United States of America where the octane rating of fuel is measured
in a different way, the following information may be applied: Triumph
Motorcycles are designed to run on unleaded gasoline with a CLC or AKI
octane rating (R+M)/2 of 89 or higher.

- - Eric