Front Brake Lever Travel

The following questions were asked during the last post....

"The front brakes have plenty of power, but do *nothing* for the
first quarter of the lever travel - is this as good as it gets?  Would
bleeding help?  Any suggestions?"

"I was wondering if anyone else had the problem with the front brake travel
? mine on setting one, the firmest setting still has about half an inch
free play before the brakes actually start to do anything, so braking from
200kmh plus I start to squash my little finger between the lever and the
handlebar (two finger braking! ) does anyone know if this is just the norm
or do I have a problem ? or is there some other adjustment besides the 4
position dial on the lever ?
thanx in advance BOB !"

   My reply:

     I have found my front brake lever reacts in the same fashion.  The 4
position dial actually adjusts the distance you have to reach to squeeze the
lever.  Position 4 places the lever closest to the handlebar while position
1 places it fartherest away.  I prefer position 4 as I need a short reach to
the lever to fit my hand best, however, if you do not "four finger brake"
and only use two fingers my lever will also pinch.

This is my first Triumph so I do not know if this is characteristic of these
bikes.  My brakes have great feel and work well, however,  the travel is a
bit more than I am used to compared to all the Japanese bikes I have ridden.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!!

Charlie