Re: helmet hooks (and recall)

At 01:07 PM 04/07/1999 +0200, Jonathan wrote:
>Thanks to Eric for posting the info on the ST recall for the teflon engine
bolts (my dealer thought they were specifically the sump ones).  Shame
Triumph don't tell the dealers here NOT to recall the bikes until they have
the new bolts in stock to replace them; I am not leaving the bike off the
road for 2 weeks while they arrive - I don't mind checking for oil leaks
before/after each ride :)

No problem - there has not been an official bulletin issued here in the US
- - it maybe different in Germany.

The bottom line however after thinking about it last night, is that
everyone that has an ST MUST check for oil seepage before riding. I would
be a shame for someone to coat the rear wheel with oil while playing in the
twisties ....

So - until the new bolts arrive, take the few extra seconds and make sure
that you don't have the problem - if you do, contact your dealer immediately.

Public Service Announcement mode off

>While in NZ on one of John Fitzwater's excellent tours we just used small
Abus combination locks to fasten the helmet d-ring to the gearsack rack; if
a suitable fixing point/loop can be made eg. on the pillion foot rest, then
this should work fine on the ST.  Its alot more secure than the flimsy wire
hooks fitted to the 509, and if someone is willing to cut the chin strap to
get the helmet then there's not alot to be done.

I thought those hooks on the 509 were for tying off to the passenger seat ....

The old Sprints had two heavy metal hooks attached to the frame under the
seat which worked great as a secure point to attach your D-ring.
Unfortunately, once the bags are mounted, the seat really looses
accessibility as the key switch is stuffed too far behind the bag, so John
King is coming up with a different plan. Had the key lock been 1 inch
further forward or if you don't have your keys on a key ring, it would not
be a problem. Once he has more info on his design, it will be passed along
to the list.

- - Eric