Re: European meeting

OK, thanks for the response, and apologies for the problems with the www.st-gingolph.ch website; it was working when I looked 2 days ago, but seems to be 'down' right now :(
I forgot a few other advantages; tax free bars on the bridge between the French and Swiss borders, and just down the road is the village of Porte du Secx :)  I will try and find out the available dates for the flat asap (by next week) and post a note with details.
June might not be so good as there are still 4m of snow over some passes; they usually open June 1 in Switzerland but possibly not until July this year!
regards
Jonathan

>>> Carlo Costanzo - SUN Italy <carloc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 16/04/99 10:20:34 >>>
Jonathan,

First of all many thanks for your interest in this.
For me, the place sounds perfect. It will also be a nice ride for me
accross the Alps to get there :-))
June or September should be OK although I may not be able to make
it for more than 2/3 days but it will still be worth it.

Ciao,
Carlo
All Black ST - Italy

=>A good friend of mine owns a flat on Lake Geneva, in the small town of St
Gingolph (opposite Montreaux) on the south side of the lake (about 1 hr from
Geneva).  The flat is right on the stream that is the border between France and
Switzerland. It is rustic, but very cheap (DM40,- per night for the whole flat!
= 20 euro or US$22) and sleeps upto 8+ depending on how many air mattresses
people bring along :)
=>The advantage of this location (apart from cost!) is that it is about as
central as you can get in Europe (ie. riders from Italy can also attend), and
the weather there is exceptionally good.  Also, it is within striking distance
of day-trips to Chamonix and many of the French/Swiss alpine passes including
the Col de l'Iseran at Val D'Isere and the highest of them all at 2802m, the
Bonnette :)
=>The main problem is that it is unlikely to be availabe in July-August for most
weeks (family get preference of course).  Therefore either June or September
would be the best time.
=>http://www.st-gingolph.ch/
=>has some nice pictures and description (in French or German!).
=>I can check if it will be available end-August, early Sept. - we could
probably take it for 3-4 nights.
=>Thoughts anyone?
=>Jonathan