ST chain tension

I grew lazy owning a shaft drive and now I am a little confused as to how to
properly check chain adjustment. The manual states the bike should be on a
paddock stand but I don't have one of these nor will I have one with when
I'm touring. Is there a rule of thumb for translating required chain
deflection on a paddock stand to that on the centre stand? Nor does the
manual state how much force to exert on the chain when checking deflection.
Mine moves another half inch or so if I press firmly. Or am I making too
much of something that is not that precise to begin with?

Tony