Re: Question RE 500 mile service

Greetings Andy,

>500-mile service here in Baltimore the shop wants $50 just for the oil plus
>~$15 for the filter AND $110 for labor adding up to a total of about $180!!

ouch - most shops are getting around $39.99 for the oil and around $8-$12
for the filter. Did you buy the bike from this dealer ? As far as what's
done, the oil change could be done by a 1 toed tree sloth in less than 15
minutes .... the rest should be checking chain tension and lube, adjusting
cables, checking brake pad wear, check fluid levels etc.

>Q- Does the manufacturer's warranty require that the 500 mile service be
>done by an authorized Triumph service center I do it myself?

In the US they cannot invalidate your warranty if you can offer proof of
service (receipts, logs etc). This does NOT hold true in other countries.
That being said, I would still recommend having dealer service. If you
should have problems, the first area they will point to, is that you did
not service it properly or thoroughly. Plus your dealer has access to
service bulletins, updates and other such things that may or may not apply
to your bike when you bring it in. After all, all you will really be saving
is the cost of labor as you still have to buy the parts.

My recommendation to you would be to see if your dealer can do the service
at the same time he puts on your new sump bolts. He should then be able to
offer to discount your labor greatly (as he'll be dumping the oil anyway).

Can I service my bike by myself ? - of course

Do I still pay to have the dealer perform the service ? - yes

It really is a small expense in the grand scheme of things, especially when
most will only get one service per year.

>Q- Is the Triumph synthetic oil the same as Mobile1 (at a mear $5 a qt) with
>the Triumph logo?

We went through this earlier on the list and it seems to be the same as the
Mobil 1 MX4T Motorcycle - I think it was in the $7.99 per quart range at
AutoZone. To get the same volume as Triumph sells (4L), you would need
4.228 quarts. Assuming that you could get .228 quarts of oil and that the
price per volume remained constant, you would still have to pay $ 33.78 for
the AutoZone offering. If you got all five quarts, you would be at $ 39.95.
At my dealer I get a discount on parts and accessories for being a repeat
customer, so my cost on the Triumph oil is only $35.00 - not worth the
$1.22 savings to fool with AutoZone. See if your dealer will give you a
break on the price of the oil - can't hurt to ask.

Just my .02

- - Eric