Re: Bike Du Jour !!!!

Greg,

I wouldn't worry about getting the ST as a first bike.  It is very easy to
ride and quite forgiving of poor riding style.  I learned on dirt bikes, then
a Kawasaki H2 (750 cc two stroke triple) that I immediately crashed.  This
bike had way too much power for an early '70s bike and handled poorly.  I then
stayed away from motorcycles for about 15 years as all I could see when I
looked at one was the pavement shredding the chin bar off my helmet. (A
sight/sound I will never forget as the helmet is now on display whenever
someone tells me helmets are uncomfortable and not worth using.)  I then
purchased a Yamaha Virago cheap a couple of years ago and felt confident
enough with it because of the low power and cruiser style.  This spring I made
the mistake of stopping in at the local Triumph dealer on a demo day and rode
the Sprint ST.  It was so easy and smooth I couldn't believe it.  It made the
Virago feel like something 50 years old.  The ST can be ridden as sedately as
you want and as you go through the rider training course (an excellent way to
learn) and your skills improve you will be able to ride it more aggressively.
Don't worry about the looks of the bike as it really is only aggressive in
appearance.  Needless to say, I went back the next day, purchased the ST, and
have never looked back.
As far as your intended use of the bike I find it uncomfortable at city speeds
and would recommend the Genmar riser kit as others in this list like it very
much.  The stock bars give way too much wrist loading at city speeds.  For
country riding I find the bike very comfortable and I have been able to ride
for hours at a time.

Hope this helps you,
Dan