Re: Bike Du Jour !!!!

I would recommend a smaller bike for a 1st. My first was an '87 EX 500
and I really appreciated being able to learn on something lighter. There
was enough acceleration to keep it interesting (of course blows most
cages away off the lights) but not so much as to get me into trouble
without really trying.

While I was able to avoid the 1st bike dump that seems so common among
newbies, I did have a coupla close calls. You wouldn't want to do that
with a bike like the ST. It's much heavier and turns a bit slower
(duck!!!) than smaller bikes and really isn't suited for a new rider.

I had two years on the EX then a long break before I got the ST. I still
feel underqualified for this bike (though I truly love it).

With the kind of riding you'll be doing an EX could be great, though you
might want to get a Corbin seat to save your fanny.

Oh, and buy Keith Code's "A Twist of the Wrist II" the bible for sport
bike riding.

My $.02
Brian W.

Gregory Washington wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am interested in purchasing a ST (my 1st choice) or the Honda VFR, as
> a first bike, I'm looking to grow into the bike and not out of it.
> Perhaps those bikes aren't suitable first mounts, if not - what are some
> of the better starter bikes? I'm 43, married and have very limited cycle
> experience. In fact, this upcoming weekend I'll be attending the local
> MSF course and later on in time a Pridmore's Class School.
>
> The type of riding I'll be doing is mostly city (approx. 3 to 4 days a
> week) and open highway (from L.A. to San Fran. - 475 miles), once every
> few months. Some people might think a ST isn't a good first bike. Does
> anyone have any thoughts on the following bikes, and why I should
> consider them?
>
>                 '86 VFR 500F
>                 '89 Honda 650 Hawk
>                  Kawasawki EX 500 (1987 - 1993)