Re: Bike Du Jour !!!!

Greg,
I would definitely advise against getting a Sprint as a first bike.  Yes,
its a wonderful machine, handles beautifully, and yes its forgiving of
certain rider errors.  But if you'd never driven a car before, would you buy
a brand new Mercedes SLK to learn in?  More likely an old VW bug, no?
Better to make your mistakes on a bike you don't mind throwing away once
you've got some experience.

Back in the pre-Camrbian era when I was a lad, a bike to learn on was a
125cc or at most a 250cc.  You didn't go near a 500cc or 650cc bike till you
had some experience under your belt.  The bikes you list as your second
choices after the Sprint are still high performance machines.  Get a 250cc
(like they use on the MSF course).  Used, you probably get one for less than
the cost of the hard luggage on the Sprint.  You can practice dropping a
bike like that, and not care about it.  They're light enough so you can
really throw them around, and get a good feel for handling a bike.  You'll
learn much faster on a small bike, because you'll have the confidence to try
"stoopid" stuff that would be intimidating on something more powerful.  And
they're fun!  Don't listen to the macho bs about a small bike being a
"girlie" bike.  After 1K - 2K miles on that,  then get the Sprint!

My $.02 worth.

Mort Harries