Re: Uh Oh !

.....However it was while looking at how to get to this that a more important
problem arose.
I noticed what seemed to be fairly fresh oil on the bottom of the oil filter
and engine, on closer investigation it looks as though the whole of the back
of the oil cooler has a coating of oil, also all the area around it has a
covering of 'gunge' although the bike has yet to see wet weather !
I'll be on the phone to the dealer in the morning, this isn't good just
before the holiday !

Martin W.
Triumph Sprint ST (99)
Bandit6

Martin,

I had the same alarm!!  I noticed oily wet spots in various parts of the oil cooler when the bike was brand new.  It totally had me baffled, as the oily spots were in several places, where as a leak would generally come from one spot, not several.  As it turns out, and according to the dealership, the wet grung (which I had left so that I could show them) was leftover "coating" that they supossedly spray the bike down with prior to trans-ocean shipping.  They said that they must have not gotten all of it off, and what I pointed out to them was residual goo that came out when the bike reached sustained operating temperatures.  Well, I really had a hard time believing them, but I guess they were right because I liberally hit the oil cooler with degreaser and the wet spots never appeared again!  I hope that this is the case for you!

David