Re: Bike Du Jour !!!!

At 10:45 PM 08/01/1999 -0700, Gregory Washington wrote:
 >I am interested in purchasing a ST (my 1st choice) or the Honda VFR, as
 >a first bike, I'm looking to grow into the bike and not out of it.
 >Perhaps those bikes aren't suitable first mounts, if not - what are some
 >of the better starter bikes? I'm 43, married and have very limited cycle
 >experience. In fact, this upcoming weekend I'll be attending the local
 >MSF course and later on in time a Pridmore's Class School.

Greetings Gregory,

Well here's my opinion (that and 95 cents will get you a fine cup of coffee...)

As you've have read there are two schools of thought here. The first being
get a smaller displacement older model bike and just use it as a learning
vehicle. Get on it, ride it, love it and then leave it..... I myself
subscribe to this theory quite often (although not exclusively). If you
happen to drop it or have an accident, repairs (if needed at all) typically
will not cost an arm and a leg. And who knows, you may even find that the
bike suits you (and your riding style)  just fine.....

(of course the first bike I dropped was a brand new Harley after having
several beaters....)

Then on to the second theory which is get a new bike that best suits the
style of riding that you anticipate doing. The problem with this course of
action is that A LOT of riders that I have seen lack the responsibility to
ride such bikes within the limits of their abilities. Too often
inexperienced riders will get on machines with too much power for them, and
they immediately become Foggy wannabees and next thing you know, their
brand new ride is on the way to the breakers......  On the other hand, I've
also seen people start on larger bikes with no problems at all.

A really wild lady that I know, decided on her 55th, that she needed a new
hobby. So she went off and took the MSF course to see if it would be
something she liked. She had a blast and 5 days later was the proud owner
of a Vulcan 1500. It was the bike she wanted, but she realized that she
needed some time on it at a slower pace. She had the bike delivered to her
home by a friend so as to not get herself into trouble on busier roadways.
She then spent a couple of weeks on the local back roads and a school
parking lot on the weekends practicing what she learned in the MSF course.
Several years later it is really fun to ride with her (on her Harley
Heritage) watching her throw that beast effortlessly through the corners.....

Sort of a long round about, but I'm sure you get the picture. If you live
for speed and need the adrenaline rush of living on the edge, then you may
want to consider a smaller bike to start. If, however, you feel comfortable
with your ability to resist the temptation to ride above your level, then I
think you will be fine on the ST. It handles very well and has a center of
gravity low enough that you don't always feel like the bike is wanting to
go over.

My recommendation is to go through the MSF course and see how you feel. If
you are at all unsure, find a nice used bike, in reasonably good condition,
ride it for a year, clean it up, sell it for what you paid for it and move
on to something bigger and better.....

In any event keep us updated on what you end up doing.

- - Eric

End of st-digest V1999 #162