Re: Tires and Headlamps

2) any problem with mixing compounds, i.e. BT57 up front, BT56 in back?

     The BT56 is a grippier tire than the BT57. This means that the front
     will tend to break away before the rear which is not remotely funny.
     When mixing compounds the front end should always have the softer tire
     fitted. I'd change the front for a matching BT56 or, even better, a
     BT56SS. Maybe you could sell on the BT57 to partly offset the cost.

1) is it worth patching? Safe to use, reliable?

     A friend of mine had my TL1000 for the weekend to play on. While he
     was out and about he picked up a rear wheel puncture and had it
     patched and plugged. The next day, on his way home, he went into a
     corner at 100MPH + and hit a small rock lying in the middle of the
     road. (How many can guess what's coming next?) The plug blew out and
     he lost control, left the road, across a ditch, through a hedge and
     into a neighbouring field. Luckily he managed to stay on and was
     relatively unhurt. The bike required a new wheel, seat unit and of
     course a new tire. Since then I don't patch tires!

     For those that are wondering, the seat unit was broken when he was
     thrown from the seat and came back down again with enough force to
     shatter the tail piece. I did msay he was 'relatively' unhurt.
     Perhaps I should put him in touch with Steve Lilley. :)

     Martin