me from the living room to seek solace from the warm comforting glow of my
laptop screen ......

I figured I will cover a few things in one email, so please excuse the length.

#1 - the Daytona parts insertion:

As David Arnett mentioned, the ST has steel liners and cast pistons while
the Daytona has aluminum liners and forged pistons (The heads however are
the same - only different on the old 509 and the new Tiger). It is probable
that the Daytona piston has deeper valve pockets, so if you change to the
Daytona cam, you would also need to change the pistons. The rods are
different as well, but unless you are planning on racing, the ST rods
should be up to the job. Then to get the most out of your top end, you
would have to cut the exhaust balancers (crossovers) on the exhaust header
and weld up the holes.

Then on to the EFI. Remember from our previous EFI lesson that the EFI
tunes have to be mapped and designed to suit the engine design and the
header/silencer design and flow. As Ross pointed out, look at the Speed
Triple and Sprint - essentially the same engine specification, same headers
but with different silencers, they flow very similar and have the same
noise emissions but as they have different designs, they require 2
different tunes. As he pointed out, they would not invest the time to
develop such tunes if it were not absolutely necessary.

So, next would be loading the aftermarket ST tune (which throws more fuel
through the system) and hope that it provides acceptable driveability and
avoids detonation. If not, you would either be forced to remove all the
parts you have just put in (plus add the balancers again) or move to the
Daytona tune. Your fuel gauge would not work, and the malfunction indicator
light (MIL) would probably remain illuminated constantly - and it may not
work any better than the ST tune.

Since the ST makes (at the crank) 114-116 BHP with the performance pipe (or
108 standard) and the Daytona makes 125, that's a lot of work to (possibly)
get another 9-15 BHP max out of the motor.

# 2 - K&N

I'm not sure if K&N has produced a unit for the ST yet, but even so, it
should provide no difference in performance. The stock paper filter element
has been said to have a very high flow rate and that it does not restrict
the breathing in any way. Also, there should be no gain from either
changing the filter or even removing it as the EFI system has a pressure
sensor between the filter and the throttle bodies - remapping the EFI
depending on the air flow.

The system will even compensate for any pressure changes such as the slow
blocking of  the filter as it comes to the end of it's service life (Via
the air bypass system).

#3 - Turbo

The Turbo kit runs in the neighborhood of $5,000US. On the ST you should
get around 150HP at the rear wheel. Brian at Turbo Connection has been
making the kits for the T5 series for a couple of years and the kit itself
is based on the popular AeroCharger which is the basis for a number of
aftermarket kits.

#4 - (for David) No, you are not going deaf - stock setup is very quiet to
meet all noise regulations that Triumph currently faces. The High
performance can will open that up a little.

- - Eric