Re: Polishing and Chroming.

For those interested in polishing aluminum, check out this sight.  I think that these people are more leaned towards commercial applications and bigger jobs, but they may have information and stuff that may be applicable.  I got it from the Airstream Web Ring.  Those Airstream guys take polishing pretty seriously.  From what I have heard, the "aircraft" polishing products are among the best.

http://www.airmarktools.net/

>>> Martin Fay <mfay@xxxxxxxxxx> 08/10 4:10 AM >>>
     I've been looking into the possibility of polishing the wheels and
     swingarm on the ST. However since Ireland is a particularly wet
     country I'm a little worried about the level of maintenance required
     to keep polished parts looking good on an everyday bike.

     Does anyone know if it's feasible to have the wheels chromed after
     they are polished. Is the finish durable enough? I know chroming can
     weaken the plated component but would this be significant enough to
     worry about? Would there be a significant weight increase? Any
     input/past experiences would be very welcome.

     Has anyone polished the driver peg/shifter assemblies or the rear
     peg/exhaust hangers? If so, what is the quality of the metal used and
     how well does it last in the polished state?

     I fitted the Skyking hub cover this week. A nice quality piece that
     tidies up the wheel area a treat. Sweeeeeet!

     Martin

     '99 Sprint ST
     '97 Suzuki TL1000S (Grease Spot)
     '79 Guzzi  V50 II