Re: The Last Triumph?

>>I guess I was going on my sample of two bikes ('97 T509) and '99 ST. The
T509 needed 8 of 12 valves reshimmed and had 2 burned valves. Of course
this would just reduce their lifetime, by which time the warranty would
have expired and the poor owner would have to fit the bill for head/cam/
valve rebuild. From that point of view it is not surprising that Triumph
don't really care for the issue - they will make a profit from it - selling
more engines and valve kit to suckers like us :(<<

For what it's worth, I talked to Mick at OC Triumph about this issue. He
said the older triples ('97 and before and about half of '98) had problems
because they gave the guy whose responsibility it was to adjust the values,
about 90 seconds per bike. He said they've corrected this problem and he
hasn't seen the newer triples significantly out of spec.

I'm taking my ST in for the 6,000 today and was debating whether to pop to
have the valves inspected. Mick seems to think it'd be a waste of money.
Additionally, I've got an extended warranty that will cover me in any
event. I probably won't have it done.

MR