Re: Dead heated grips

At 08:02 PM 08/10/1999 -0700, Paul Steinbacher wrote:
 >Tried to turn on the heated grips this morning because it was cool (duck,
 >here comes a scud from Texas) and found out they were not functioning. Boss

Forget Texas, there's one on the way from Florida ......

 >realized today that he has left me out of the office for 3 weeks, so a day
 >off before Saturday departure to fix is out of the question. I took things
 >apart after work to do a quick troubleshoot and found out there aren't any
 >schematics for the heated grips anywhere in the manual or installation
 >instructions!!! There was no obvious problem and they magically fixed

I even went to ToA and Shaun was unable to get any schematics. They come
from an outside source and appear that they are pretty much replaced in
event of failure

 >themselves (don't you love that) after about an hour of probing around
 >trying to trace wires with a turnsignal bulb with wire soldered to it (I
 >really should buy that new meter). I also mounted the tank bag with a
 >removable system and noted that the instructions show the narrow portion on
 >the front of the tank, I think someone asked that question a while back.

Yeah, new meters are so expensive .....

As for the problem it sounds if you have 1 of two things

1-the wire is damaged at some point and your moving the lines around fixed
the problem
2-one of your components was loose or had a bad connection and your moving
the parts around re-seated the bad connection. Did you make sure the relay
was firmly seated? all other connections looked ok?

- - Eric