Re: Panniers

At 08:12 AM 08/11/1999 -0400, Eau Gallie Enterprises wrote:
 >>When I went to pick thew bike up, they gave me a bill for 204.00. I ask to
 >speak with a manager. We discussed the purchase price, the wait, what other
 >dealers policies were that I had talked to, plus our discussions here, on
 >the ST page. In the end they did the right thing and did not charge me
 >anything more. I really like them so far. First real ride with them will be
 >the rally (13 days!). Thinking of doing a IBA Saddle Sore 1000 on the way
 >out, any suggestions, this would be my first.
 >Mark

Well, I am glad to hear that they took care of you. I was just in there
today - had to visit our site in Melbourne and drop of some pieces at the
painters, so I figured why not. I was in there for 10 minutes looking
around and was not even greeted..... There were no other customers in the
store and somebody running the vacuum cleaner in the parts area ......

On the SS1000, read through the wisdom section on the IronButt site - it
has a lot of valuable suggestions.

My suggestions are:

1) Start your ride around the time when you normally get up. Trying to
leave in the afternoon or at night will probably just lead to added fatigue.

2) Don't do anything mechanical to the bike before you leave (add new bits
or have a major service done). If I am doing a long run and know that I
will need a service first, I will plan it so that I can ride the bike for a
week after the service to make sure that everything is back where it should be.

3) Use a Camelbak or similar item to stay hydrated

4) Carry a emergency tire repair kit and know how to use it.

There are some others, but I can't think of them right now - I'll let you
know if I come up with anything else.

- - Eric