Re: Introduction and question

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:41:14 -0700, in Mailing-Lists.Triumph you
wrote:

>Thanks for the great (and comprehensive!) info Rick!!  All along I thought
>Triumph still used the modular design engines.

The engine design is not all that different between the T3, T5 and T6
Triumphs. It's mostly details that have changed. I would not be
surprised if ther was a large amount of interchangeability in the
engine still. Since Triumph uses wet liners [1], all the
three-cylender blocks and engine cases can be the same casting, for
example, as can the transmission internals and the various covers. The
modular concept is still in use of most of their model line, though.
Look at (for example) a Thunderbird Sport and a Ledgend TT side by
side and it is the similaritys that are more striking than the
differences. Even the Tiger has more in common with (for example) a
Trophy than you would expect from a first look.

The nice thing (for us, anyway) about modularity is that for it to
work the engine needs to be flexable enough to satisfy the tourque
happy crusers *and* powerful enough to satisfy the track-happy racer
boys (and girls). The real break with modularity will come when
Triumph starts delivering it's 600cc Supersport bike. Totaly new
engine, totaly new frame and totaly new suspention with only the
swingarm shared with another model (the Sprint RS).

[1] That means that the cylender block is actually just a box to hold
the water with pressed-in sleves forming the cylenders. Most other
manufacturers make the block out of a single piece that they machine
to suit.