Pannier (Pain in rear)

Gary,

Thanks for the detailed input!  I never dreamed the bags would come
completely disassembled.  I envisioned simply bolting the mounting rail to
the bike and 'clicking' the bags in place - 10 minutes tops.  I will
definitely negotiate bag assembly and installation now.

Ta,
Jeff

Gary wrote:

I paid 749.00 for mine two weeks ago which were purchased mail-order
from Eric's dealer in Florida (Thanks Eric!).  If you can negotiate
free installation consider yourself a very shrewd haggler because
after installing them myself I figure it would probably take a
professional mechanic 5-6 hours to do the installation.  It is not a
simple job.  The panniers come completely disassembled.  You pop rivet
the hinges together, assemble latches, locks, even the decals and this
is after relocating the seat latch, center stand lift handle, and turn
signals.  And then there are the inevitable missing parts from a kit
this size, in my case it was the two rubber bumpers that attach to the
reinforcing plate on the rear mudguard.  But after all that work I
tried them for the first time last weekend on a trip to the mountains
and I have to say they are worth it.  I will never go back to soft
luggage.

Gary