Re: Errant fuel gauge syndrome

At 02:13 AM 08/13/1999 -0500, Mark D. Gibson wrote:
 >Could anyone describe their experience?  Mine seems to "work".  No reduction
 >in a "full" indication for ~100 miles into the tank than seemingly
 >repeatable, rather linear reduction after that.  I've yet to see the fuel
 >light down through ~4.5 gallons burned.

Yours appears to be working properly. The sensor does not go to the top of
the tank (because of the curvature of the tank), and it takes between
80-100 miles to drop the level to the top of the sensor. The tank also
becomes smaller as you go down, so you will see it drop quicker the further
down the tank you go.

Those with problems tend to have the gauge move about, or have it stay on
empty for an extended period of time after fillup. This also will usually
be accompanied by the yellow fuel warning light. On mine, my tank shows
empty for about 5 - 10 minutes after fillup and my fuel light will
typically stay on for 10-15 minutes.

 >"mirror fix"?  Mine don't move that much.  But heck, I used to ride a Buell
 >S3T. . .  You want flapping mirrors, sheesh.

well mine is 11/98 build and it does not have the shaking mirror syndrome
either......

- - Eric