Re: What the well-prepared ST rider keeps under his or her rear seat.

At 03:46 PM 08/13/1999 +0200, Leatherbiker wrote:
 >personal stereo or walkie-talkie, just a 26" TV set with
 >quadrophonic speakers <g>.

well, I run a 32" and have no problem (in addition to my hold and cold
panniers) and do not have a problem so that can't be it.

 >It probably has something to do with the wet conditions.

hopefully the source of the problem will be found at some point in the near
future....

 >I have now bought the cheapest and least bulky pair of jump
 >leads from Halfords superstore, which I plan to keep under the
 >saddle of my bike for future contingencies. Seems such a waste
 >to have to wait around for 1/2 hour while it charges, when there
 >is always a car or truck on hand to get you started.

unless you happen to toast the ECM accidentally and then it would have
seemed wise to wait.....

 >The only other problem was not being able to unlock the seat
 >while the panniers were on, which is kind of screwy when it

see my next email

 >comes to design - but that has been mentioned. Also, I find that
 >the two long, grooved rubber protective pieces fitted on the
 >underside of the saddle have a tendency to fall off when you
 >remove the seat, and when they do so I have  a job getting the
 >saddle to click back into place - anyone else tried that? Still,

I cannot remember any rubber pieces on mine other than the two that came
with the panniers, but they are nowhere near the seat (they protect the
underside of the fairing from the pannier supports)

Where are these pieces exactly ? Maybe mine fell off long ago and I did not
even notice (or maybe my dealer lost them on bike prep - yeah that's it...)

 >it's a plus that there's so much extra storage room under the
 >back of the seat - so what do other people keep there? condoms?
 >chocolate? water? oil? chain lube? fresh shirt? maps?

tool kit, tire repair and the occasional dead cat ;-) ..........

- - Eric