Re: (ST virus?)

Hi Guys,

I have been reading all of the various complaints with interest and would like to add my thoughts and experiences.  I agree with Jonathan and Eric that this is just a discussion list and these problems are fine to air out but leave it at that.  My thoughts are that Triumph will make right in due time these various issues.  Let's give them a chance.
As far as which of these things have affected my ST, I can only report the shaky mirrors (they really are not that bad) and a blocked fuel tank vent line.  I never had the pan bolts cause a leak, but had the recall done anyway.  My fuel gauge works correctly.  My fuel lines have not been chafed due to the clamps.  My wiring has not shorted.  My speedo sending unit has not seized.  My lower
fairing has not shown any indication of melting.  I do have that funny tinkling noise at closed throttle but just chalked it up to the engine being broken in.  I think it is just a resonance in the header as it seems to be coming from forward of the engine.  I had a very rough shifting gearbox until the first oil change but the new oil and repositioning of the shifter totally cured that.  I
guess the ST virus is not transferred by e mail!  My dealer has always been up front with me concerning everything so I guess I am content with my ST experience so far.
As far as issues dealing with Triumph making recall notices public, I wouldn't bet on it.  I have purchased many new vehicles and have never been made aware of any recalls unless I heard of them from another customer and reported them to the dealer.  Granted, this is my first new motorcycle purchase, but my dealership has always been up front with information as soon as they have received it.
Of the american vehicles I have purchased, the manufacturers have never offered any recall information.  Of the imports I have purchased, BMW not only has never offered any information but keeps it all hidden.  You can't even get a service manual from them anymore.  And as far as my Lotus, we are talking a recall/warranty program that doesn't exist.  As far as they are concerned, you bought the
car it's your problem now.  We are talking about an $80,000 car here.  If they offered any recalls the entire car would be considered a defect as you can count on something breaking, burning, or falling off every time you use it.  I guess my point is I am used to defects in British vehicles and just consider them part of the character that attracted us to them in the first place.  I like my ST
and think Triumph will make things right in due time.  If I wanted a perfect bike I would have bought the Honda but that would have been boring.  As far as I can tell none of these problems have led to anyone being injured and only are irritants so it really isn't that bad.  Sorry that was so long winded but just wanted to get in my $.02.

Happy riding,
Dan