Fuel Vent Orienation

I looked at mine.  This is a check valve? right?  The Listers have mentioned this valve being installed backwards, but has no "arrow" showing allowed flow direction.  The thing does have a larger diameter on one end as opposed to the other.  Which end is suppossed to be up?  Is this line suppossed to be an overflow as well?...(if so, flow must go either way)... or maybe I am looking at the wrong line entirely.  It is on the right aft side of the tank, the valve is located near the frame rail, and the line shoots down with the battery overflow hose on the right side, aft of the lower fairing.