Re: second gear problem

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 21:44:00 -0700, Eric Sheley <eric@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>At 11:38 PM 08/14/1999 -0500, dan & ann curcio wrote:
> >Eric,
> >I should have read all the messages before I replied on this one.  You beat
> >me to
> >it again.
> >Dan
>
>Dan - your answer was much better than mine. All I did was copy the
>response from Cycle World. Thanks for the confirmation.

Next time you are out on the bike, pay close attention to how far you
actually pull that clutch lever in when shifting. Several years ago I
had a discussion like this with some friends and started paying
attention to what I was doing more closely. I discovered that, while I
was squeezing the clutch lever, I was not actually doing anything with
it other than taking up the slack in the cable. In the tens of
thousands of miles since then I have never had a transmission problem
*and* I seem to get exceptional chain (and clutch) life [1].

While an incorrectly performed shift is quite damaging, performing
clutchless shifts correctly is even easier than 'normal' shifts.

[1] 21,000+ miles on a '97 Magna [2] with no significant wear and
8,000 on the Sprint with one adjustment. My Radian (sold at around
20K) also had it's original chain with lots of life in it and pristine
sprockets.

[2] My previous bike. The current owner is a buddy, so the bike is
still around.