Mirrors & gauges

Dear All,

As mentioned in my previous fax I will forward further details on the
subframe when I have them, I also want to clarify the situation on the fuel
gauge and where we are with it at present.

Here at Triumph we have weekly quality meeting with all senior management
attending from design, production, purchasing, warranty and sales. Each
department feeds in any relevant quality concerns from their departments
i.e. purchasing/supply issues, manufacturing/assembly issues and so on. Each
issue is minuted until a 'fix' is implemented. Currently Sprint fuel gauges
is our No.1 quality concern.

So where are we now?, we are currently testing a new fuel sender. As soon as
the sender has passed we will then forward it onto production. Since the
first production we are on our 3rd issue of the senders but as yet until the
final test have been completed we will not issue the change until we are
fully confident.

This all sounds simple but the whole process take months as follows;

1.  As a concern is flagged up a quality investigation starts (As some of
these faults have not been displayed on our mileage bikes, they appear on
customer machines as the miles pile on and can take months to show).
2.  Once the fault has been tested and traced design engineers are involved
to develop a fix.
3.  Suppliers then manufacture a modified part for testing (This can take
3-6 months).
4.  The new part then needs to be tested and signed off by Triumph
(Timeframe obviously depends on the test needed).
5.  Approved part ordered for production and spares.

We usually run a rolling 6 month build plan with our suppliers for them to
plan there production, we also plan with them a basic years requirement
again for their planning. Therefore when we do order the 'New' part a
supplier then can take 6 months to supply us with the parts, then there is
the problem of them ramping up there production to supply the
spares/warranty requirement, i.e.. we originally order 5,000 per annum, by
the time we have prove off the part there is a year worth of production on
the road, so we go back to the supplier and ask for the new spec part ASAP
for production and a further 5,000 for spares. As you can imagine doubling
our planned production can cause suppliers havoc!.

So at the moment we are at the testing stage, even if all goes well we will
still be looking at some months for replacements!, we are working flat out
on a fix since we first noticed the issue, but unfortunately some of the
timeframe is out of our hands. As I said earlier it is our No.1 priority and
as soon as we have a fix I ill let you know.

Many thanks

Ross

End of st-digest V1999 #182