Re: Dynojet

I seem to remember a long discussion about K&N air filters on the T5 list (for T509/T595/T955i models).  Someone came up with a URL for a good article on air filter technology which showed (motor industry tests I think?) that K&N allowed higher air flow rates, but just didn't filter the air efficiently, reducing engine life presumably.  The best air filters were the oil soaked card versions, in terms of compromise between high flow and good filtration properties.  Having said that, I fitted a K&N to my T509 in 1997 and was very happy with the results - noticeably smoother revving, better idle etc. I dont know if power was up.   From what I heard on the list the stock Triumph air filter is perfectly adequate on the ST.
cheers
Jonathan

>>> "Stuart Mumford" <s2mumford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 19/08/99 17:47:37 >>>
To "jet up" the 99s you would have to change the length of time of the fuel
pulse. I believe this is what the performance ECM tunes do. You could also
change the injector size, but then you are looking at a bigger fuel pump,
and reworking the cams and heads to make the engine run right. Otherwise,
you are just running rich. I e-mailed K&N to see if they have an air filter
element for the Sprints yet. I work 1/2 mile from their factory here in
Riverside and have volunteered my bike if they need something to make a
template around.