Re: Howdy - Jeff

- -----Original Message-----
From: Bert Bota <bbota@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, August 27, 1999 7:41 PM
Subject: Re: Howdy - Jeff

Jeff,

About that riding position.  I've grown up on MX'ers and sport bikes.  I
ride with a group that mainly own cruiser style bikes.  I have ridden
Harley's, Gold Wings, Viragos, etc.  I cannot bear the riding position of
their bikes and the feeling is mutual.  I believe that it really has a lot
to do with what you are used to.  You use different muscles to ride.  That
sport bike riding position does have a purpose though.  It lowers your body
weight on the bike therefore, the bike's center of gravity is lower.  If you
use this position properly (i.e. use your legs to support some of your
weight) this makes a significant difference in handling.  On a "vigorously
ridden" stretch of twisties there is nothing like it.   You will have better
control and will be more comfortable.  The only time I find the position
uncomfortable is riding in stop and go traffic.

I think that was good advice from Bert concerning the dealer.  The dealer's
attitude can go a long way toward making your experience with any brand or
style of motorcycle miserable.  I have dealt with all kinds of dealers.  My
three most recent experiences consisted of one very high volume dealer
(horrible customer service), one dealership that is ran by idiots (would
rather sell jet skis or snowmobiles), and the place that I currently do
business which is abolutely awesome.  Small volume,  sell cool bikes
(Ducati, Triumph, Bimota, etc.), and ran by an ex-racer.  The whole staff is
made of motorcycle enthusiasts.  If you are ever near Toledo, OH you should
stop by Sylvania Superbike (www.sylvaniasuperbike.com) to see what a
dealership should be.

Good luck whatever the decision.

Al