Re: Howdy - Jeff

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Bert Bota <bbota@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 27, 1999 6:31 PM
Subject: Re: Howdy - Jeff

> Jeff. Bert Bota in Taos. Trust your gut. No matter what anyone else tells
> you or how much you tell yourself it's going to be ok, you'll probably
> always be waiting for the other shoe to drop. Anytime I do anything in a
> hurry, it's usually fear based and I screw it up. That's not the best
place
> to come from.

Thanks, I'm a lot calmer now and reading this helped too.  Part of the
problem is that my job requires almost zero mental effort so I spend 8 hours
a day just sitting thinking.  No telling hour many hours I've spent the past
week going over everything, and I think I worked myself into a tizzy.  I got
a good handle on it tonight though by trying to breakdown the different
aspects that were troublesome to me.  They were:

A)  Aquisition
B)  The riding position
C)  The money.

It's not like I've never bought a bike before, so it's not that

Tthe riding position is certainly something to be concerned about but not
something to make myself sick over, just something to anaylize and base part
of the decision on.

....And though it's the most money I have ever spent on any one thing in my
life it is something that I saved for and can afford to do.  I'm just going
to go in tomorrow, take a testride, and see if I still love it.  If I get
off feeling unsure I can always walk away unscathed.

As to the gastric gymnastics, after some contemplation I have to admit that
my having swallowed about half a mouthfull of toothpaste earlier probably
had something to do with it.  Just love the sensation of mentadent bubbling
up the esophagus.

> From how you described your shop, loaning tools to customers, etc. isn't
> giving you a great amount of comfort either. It might not be the right
> place to buy the bike.

I'm not too worried about the shop, these are people I know fairly well and
think I can trust to do right by me and still be around the next 2 years.
I've had about as bad an experience one can have in a bike shop, the local
BMW dealer is widely known to be an ass, but these guys have always done me
right.  They were even polite to my little old mother when she stopped for
directions once. (and they say you DON'T meet the nicest people on Triumphs,
pshaw!)

> Hey man, I spent years getting over the guilt of having so much fun on
> bikes. You ain't alone.

You know what I think the biggest part is?  I have two BMW's at the moment,
both of which I dearly love... and both are dead.  One needs more TLC than I
can give it, the other has an intermittent electrical gremlin that 2 dealers
and several mechanics have never been able to diagnose.  By buying a new
bike it's like I'm pushing these old friends away from me, especially since
I am hoping to sell them off to recoup the cost of the new steed.  That
combined with the fear that the future owner of my bikes will diagnose their
problems within 2 minutes and fix them back to as-new using only wd-40,
electrical tape, and a ball-peen hammer.  (If this turns out to be the case
I hope I never learn of it, heheheh)

Or perhaps I just spend too much time thinking at work.  :)

Jeff Jenkins - Nashville, TN

PS - For Sale to good homes, '71 BMW R75/5 (Rocinante AKA/The Filthy Whore)
and '87 BMW K75c (Special K).  Great bikes, good with kids, mostly
house-broken.