Oil Leak and Beartooth Rendezvous

 Last weekend was the Montana BMW Riders inaugural rally, the Beartooth
Rendezvous, outside of Red Lodge MT. Surprisingly, 160 people showed up.
Lots from Colorado, Washington, and Alberta, and of course, Montana. Rained
Saturday am, but the rest of the time was sunny. The Beartooth Pass was
open with no snow on the road, and provided hours of fun. Most people still
don't know what it looks like up there, unless they stopped and actually
got off their bike. The road grabs you and won't let go.
 Mine was the only Triumph there, and it garnered rave reviews from a bunch
of hard core BMW people, who tend to be somewhat snobbish, even assholic.
You'll be happy to know that I smoked a few of their tight asses up on the
pass.

  Oil leak. Doesn't leak a lot, and none when it's sitting. In fact, I
haven't had to add any oil for 1000 miles.When I stop after a hard run, it
smells of hot oil and once some smoke came from the opening on the right
fairing lower, apparently oil on a hot pipe. Naturally, this happened in
front of a bunch of Harley riders hanging on the porch of the Pony Bar in
Pony MT. Also, there are always little oil streaks at that opening. Valve
cover gasket? It wasn't replaced with a new one when the valves were
adjusted. Suggestions welcomed.
  The risers go on next Thursday, and I plan on leaving for Texas the next
day, leak or no leak. A new gasket is on the way, and unless it's
determined that it couldn't possibly be the source, it will go on as well.

Duner Tor
Bozeman MT
'99 Sprint ST
'99 R1100RT