Re: Melted fairing

At 01:39 PM 08/26/1999 +0200, Jonathan Schulster wrote:
 >I was wondering the same thing - my first one melted when the heat
 >insulation (the 'thin' foil type, rather than the thicker 'quilt' type)
 >touched the exhaust (joints).
 >The dealer gave me a replacement off of their demo bike, but it has the same
 >shielding... haven't fitted it yet. I will see if they can get me one with
 >the new type of insulation, which I believe can be ordered separately?

The "correct" insulation is the thinner insulation and all current
production bikes should have this thinner shield.The thicker quilted
insulation may restrict the airflow around the pipe or even come in direct
contact with the collector (which is what happened in my case).  My fairing
is melted on the underside where this contact occurred, so with the custom
paint I was concerned about the thinner shield. I cleaned up the welds with
a dremel (to help the shield in case of contact) and installed the new
shield before the Rallye. 3500 miles on the new shield doesn't show any
visible problems, but I will pull the panel to be sure.

- - Eric