Re: First Bike?

Zack,
As far as comparing the ST to a YZF you are really looking at two totally different
bikes.  My wife purchased a '99 YZF-R6 this year and compared to my ST it is nearly
useless as a touring bike.  It handles great and accelerates like mad but unless you are
small (height & weight) it is very uncomfortable after 30 min.  It also is always on
edge and waiting to dump you off at the slightest wrong move.  The ST is so forgiving
that you need do something really stupid to get it to let go.  I'm not saying that you
won't dump it (being your first bike) but it will take more wrong inputs to make this
happen.  The YZF also is treacherous at slow speeds (parking lots, driveways etc.) when
turning as the front end tries to stay at full lock and must be wrenched back straight
or down you go.  My wife found this out in a parking lot when she dropped hers trying to
get out of a parking space.  The drop was at a point of almost no forward movement and
she just let it down on the right side.  $2,000 later all the cosmetics have been
replaced and now it is for sale.  She moved on to a Kawasaki ZX6e which is stable like
the ST and she has had no further problems.
  As far as whether the ST would be a good first bike, just make sure you can deal with
the inevitable dump and resulting scratches or make sure your insurance is good.  It
really is a nice comfortable bike and is only as hard to ride as your throttle control.
Take it easy and you shouldn't have any problems.

Best of luck,
Dan