Re: Help Required

     Keith,

     There are a number of cosmetic implications to fitting the panniers.
     The bike looks good with the panniers fitted but when they are
     removed,

     1] The exhaust is lowered and doesn't flatter the lines of the bike.
     2] The mounting rails and locks are very visible.
     3] The indicators are stuck out to the rear of the bike on stalks.

     Like yourself I don't need the panniers on a daily basis and didn't
     want to ruin the looks of the bike so I've fitted mini carbon
     indicators which don't look as obtrusive and have removed the right
     hand mounting hardware so that the exhaust is in the normal position.
     This means I can still use one pannier if I need carrying capacity but
     the bike looks pretty normal without the boxes.

     I am currently working with a local engineer to come up with a
     mechanism to quickly remove the mounting hardware without having to
     remove the bodywork. For the top rack mounts we simply tack welded the
     nylock nuts for the mounting plate in place so that two minutes with a
     socket wrench removes or fits the rack or grabrail. Next we're looking
     at the attachments of the pannier rails. The first thing we tried was
     to make a bracket to hold the nut under the side panel captive so that
     the hardware can be unbolted without removing the bodywork. It works
     fine but it still takes around 30 minutes to remove and fit the rails.
     Alternatively (and preferably) we are trying to make a quick release
     lever to sit up under the mudguard that will release the bracket with
     a quarter turn, a-la the old style krauser panniers. We're both doing
     this in our spare time so progress is slow but if we can get it to
     work we're looking at around 10 minutes to get from sports trim to the
     three box set-up which would be fine by me.

     Martin,
     Dublin, Ireland