Re: Engine Heat from Fairing

Jeff,

Have you made the purchase yet?  Lisa and I as well as all on this list
are rather biased towards the ST.  I am sure everyone here agrees the ST
is a better bike.  But everyone has different tastes and preferences and
you may feel the BMW is the better choice.  As far as heat, I see you
have had a number of replies with good info.  Specifically I agree with
TrunpetDave who says that:

> I have found the heat to be a problem only when going slow, in temperatures
> in the 80-100F range, but above that the heat is noticable even at freeway
> speeds.

Here in houston, there is no relief to be had on hot humid days, no
matter what bike you ride or how you dress.  Full faired bikes are
indeed worse though.

I especially noticed the heat early on, but not as much later on.  Also
FWIW, I noticed less heat got to the legs when I had leather pants on
vs. jeans.  The BMW will have less heat in some areas, but I believe you
will have more across your chins as the air washing over the cylinders
is heated.  On a few rides, I was really wishing that the heat was more
pronounced.

Let us know what your final decision is and see on the roads.

..Richard