Re: Panniers / Topbox

 >At 11:10 AM 12/09/1999 -0800, Andrea wrote:
 >Is it possible to have a unique key for the bike, saddle and topbox/panniers?

I am using the 99 ST as my point of reference - but I would assume the 2000
is the same. Currently as the locks are setup you will have a minimum of
two keys without changing one of the locks (one for the ign / seat and one
for all the bags).

I read on another list of someone (successfully) changing the position of
the bits inside the lock on a 98 Exec so that they could use one key. I had
one lock all the way out of the pannier before realizing that the key
blanks were different thicknesses (knew that already but forgot in my
excitement). I checked with the guy that had the exec and his stock
ignition key was 1.8mm thick which was the same as the bags. The ST's
ignition key is about 2.3 mm thick while the bag keys are the standard
1.8mm, so it appears that Triumph used a different ignition with a stronger
key blank. I briefly toyed with getting a thinner ignition key made, but
after looking at the keys, found that in addition to the thickness
difference, they keys are slotted on the opposite sides, so even if it did
fit thickness wise, it wouldn't fit down into the lock.

I am not sure why they set it up that way. I would much prefer to have one
key for everything.

- - Eric