Re: Road Trip 2000

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Eric Sheley wrote:

> I am doing the initial planning for my Spring road trip. I am thinking
> about heading north to Canada - I would really like to go to Newfoundland
> but I think the 2,500 miles each way will be too much for the time that I
> have if I want to do any other riding. So I will probably be looking at
> Ontario and Quebec - any comments from the Canadian listers ? I have ridden
> around the Montreal area, but it was just by pointing my bike in a
> direction with no real plan.

I fully enjoyed two season up in Ottawa. There are a large number
of fun roads West, North and East of the nations capital. If you
look at a medeum density map of Ontario and Quebec, all the roads
that are on the map that look like they might be fun, are :-) And
generally for the most part, escpecially in Ontario you will find
the quality of the roads to be very good. Quebec, well, you will
love some, and fear what the next pot hole will look like.

One of the most enjoyable experiences in Ontario was when I took
my 6e to Bill's sister in Law's cottage, this trip rated a fully
lofted front wheel! Anyway,  if I remeber correctly I went west
from Ottawa on 417 (borring) and it turns into 17 (trans Canada,
watch your ass on this one, if a deer does not try to commit suicide
in front of you some idiot in a cage will), turn west a refrew on
60 to 132. South on 41, west on 28. Now from there I would suggest
going north on 62 to 127 (stay going north) up to 60 and go through
Algonquin park.  and over to Huntsville.

That ride will probably take 6 to 8 hours, very senic. A lot of
very nice hills and long sweapers and some tight twisties. The park
is very beautiful!

As well I've been on several roads in Quebec that would blow your
mind, but can not remember their numbers as I was usually following
a friend who had access to a cottage in west Quebec.

Bill probably knows some other really good roads and might be able
to post some other suggests as the route I suggested goes close to
where his parents like to summer.

As far as Newfoundland, I really want to ride out there as well,
but I will be happy with doing California and getting to Ontario
in the next two summers to visit family and friends. And of course
a couple of trips to Florida.

Thomas

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5025 Arapaho Road, Suite 406, Dallas, 75248
(972) 851-6945 (voice)  (972) 851-6944 (fax)