Re: Body work repair

At 02:35 PM 12/12/1999 -0700, Bert Bota wrote:
 >Does anybody know what product to use to make a permanent repair to the
 >plastic fairing material on our bikes? I have a blue y2ST and managed to

Yes

 >break one of the tabs on the bottom right hand front fairing that the
 >little matte black fillet piece (that funnels air to the radiator I
 >presume) screws to. Be careful in re securing that fillet piece to the
 >fairing as the tab breaks off the fairing real easy if you overtighten the
 >screw. The tab that broke off of the fairing holds a metal female piece
 >that the screw that holds the fillet piece to the fairing screws into. Does
 >that make sense?

Either my dealer or my painter broke mine. I was pulling the fairing and it
fell off in two pieces (broke from the fairing and then broke in half). At
first, I though I had done it, but on examining the pieces, I found super
glue residue so someone had previously glued it.

I made a template out of some thin flexible plastic that I had laying
around in the garage. I then cleaned all the surfaces (including removal of
the paint on the underside of the tab). I then used a plastic adhesive to
re glue the tab. I then took the second piece of plastic and glued it to
the underside of the tab to strengthen it against breaking again. I have
6,000 miles and several fairing pulls on the repair and have had no
problems with it.

 >slick material"glove" over the blueapplication paddle and to spray the
 >wetting solution liberally on my hands, the metal and the pieces I was

OK - I guess I didn't make it clear enough in the instructions that you
were to put the sleeve over the squeegee. I have changed the instructions
to make that point clearer as well as adding a line about wetting
everything thoroughly.

Thanks for the suggestions.

- - Eric