Re: Road Trip 2000

Eric,

Weatherwise, the earliest I would recommend arriving is mid- May;  anything
earlier than that, and you're going to be looking at bare trees and brown
grass.  Late May/early June is ideal:  the spring rainy season will be over,
the days will be sunny and warm, and you'll have the roads to yourself (at
least on weekdays).

Southern Ontario and Quebec are pretty flat terrain-wise, so don't be
expecting much in the way of elevation change.  There are myriads of lakes
and forests, however, with lots of good twisties.  The scenery starting
about 100 miles north of the border is pretty spectacular and deserted.  No
people, no cities, no traffic.  The biggest problem, from a fast riding
perspective is the condition of the pavement.  Depending on the road, there
can be a lot of frost heaves which cause potholes and broken up pavement.
You just have to keep a close eye on the pavement in front of you.  Not all
roads are bad, mind you, and each year they'll freshly pave one of these
secondary highways which then becomes riding heaven for the next few years!
I can easily provide you with maps of the current favourite routes.  Also,
you may not be aware, but this area of Ontario (known as Muskoka) hosts an
annual Sportbike rally each July which is rapidly gaining international
attention due, primarily, to the great local riding.  Not much in the way of
police radar, either, although they are out there . . .

I might suggest you enter Canada at Niagara Falls if you've never seen them.
The town is really tacky, but the falls will leave a life-long impression.
I'm just one hour down the road from there.  Leave your bike at my place,
and you can take a 30-minute train ride into Toronto;  the city really is
worth at least a day of looking around.  From my house, I can send you on
your way and with just a 90 minute ride, you'll be in the heart of Muskoka!

Quebec is like a country on its own.  In Ontario, you'll still feel like
you're in the U.S.;  in Quebec, you'll feel like you're in France.  The
towns, villages, and people are all extraordinary!  Lots of old
European-style architecture.  Scenery-wise, it's about the same as Ontario.
Probably the most beautiful area of Quebec is along the north shore of the
St. Lawrence River, east of Quebec City.  This area is known as the
Charlevoix, and is a World Biosphere designated site.  Well worth the visit.
Also, I would strongly recommend spending some time visiting Quebec City,
the only walled city in North America.  Easily, the most beautiful city in
North America, IMHO.

I hope that helps.  Please feel free to contact me off-line if you'd like
more detailed information.

Regards,

Paul Wilson
Toronto, Canada