Re: New Owner Questions

At 01:54 AM 12/15/1999 -0500, Paul Wilson wrote:
 >As I sit here watching it snow out the window, the spring delivery of my ST

Snow ? what's that ?

 >1.   I seem to recall that the gas tank is non-metallic which means my
 >magnetic tank bag won't work.   Am I   correct?   That being the case, I

Yes, unless you mount the optional steel plate to the top of the tank.

 >interested in one of those monster 20 litre bags, but a good-sized map
 >pocket is important to me.   I welcome your recommendations.

I use the triumph bag, but it is big. Not a problem for me as I normally
only use one when headed on long trips. I did just get a metro tank panel
strap from Sargent when I had the seat done, and that has a small tank bag
available the snap on and off of the strap. Take a look at the Sargent page
for more info on this.

I'm sure you'll get some other recommendations here

 >2.   I've ordered the rear seat cowling and the saddlebags.  Will the
 >cowling fit with the saddlebags in place?

2 bag or 3 bag ?

 >I understand that the rear grab rail has to be removed.   Is that required
 >in order to fit the saddlebag bracketry, the cowling, or both?

I'm guessing the two bag then. The grab rail is removed to fit the seat
cowl or to install the rack for the top box. The cowl works fine with the 2
pannier setup - if you go with the 3 pannier setup or add the rack at some
point, the cowl can be modified (see the mods page) with a notch on each
side to allow it to fit.

 >3.   I've also ordered the heated grips.   Where is the switch mounted to
 >control the grips?   I've seen several postings referring to purchasing a
 >European headlight switch cluster in order, I'm assuming, to utilise the
 >extra headlight on/off switch for the heated grips.   Is this correct?   If

The stock mounting location is shown on the accessory page on the heated
grips page. The stock location requires cutting into the left faring, which
in my estimation was a total screw up on someone's part. It looks out of
place on the red bikes and makes panel removal just that much more
difficult. I mounted mine (as did several others) on the dash (pics on the
same page) which I think looks a lot cleaner and you don't need to buy
anything extra.

The headlight switch that others are using allows the use of the blank
switch location that is not utilized in some countries. The item is not
available for order in the US - thus the reason for people ordering it from
Lilleys. As ToA now handles the parts ordering for Canada, I would assume
that you would have the same problems getting one locally.

and plus Lilley's is a great place to do business with .............

 >be the source of choice for the switchgear.   Has anyone stateside ordered
 >this piece and, if so, what was the cost/delivery time, etc.?

around $100 with delivery usually in about a week. At times I would order
from Steve in the UK and get parts quicker than had I ordered them from

- - Eric