Re: st-digest V1999 #124

Larry

I don't want to be contrary either, but the other Triumph list
kind of confirms that the fuel-gauge is not only erratic and
unpredictable but also inconsistent - it doesn't even do the
same thing each time on MY bike - so I have no way of analysing
the pattern or algorithms and then deducing when it's either
full, empty or about to give up the ghost for want of juice.
That's really my gripe - but as I said, they're all being
replaced soon anyway, so let's hope that works.

Tim

> I don't want to be contrary, but I don't agree that the gas
gauge is totally
> hosed. My ST was manufactured 11/98. My gas gauge seems to be
relatively
> accurate over the whole range, but not as good at the top,
i.e. it will read
> full for up to 100 - 120 miles then start to come down. The
last half seems
> to be accurate and predictable.
>
> According to the manual, the tank hold 5.6 gallons (U.S.). My
experience
> (1000 miles) says this is accurate. I have had the low fuel
light come on
> once, at 218 miles. I put 4.7 gallons in the tank. By the way
this was my
> most recent, and worst gas mileage. I can see the effects of
running the
> bike harder during the later part of the break-in. All other
fill-ups have
> shown 50 mpg. As you can imagine, I am pleased with the
combination of
> mileage and performance, although I didn't buy the bike for
the mileage.

> Note that if you believe the factory tank capacity, the low
fuel warning
> gave me about a gallon reserve (45 - 50 miles). That is about
what I would
> expect based on 33 years of riding experience.
>
> Larry
>

> > Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 00:47:06 +0200
> > From: "Leatherbiker" <leatherbiker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: driving range on a tank of petrol
> >
> > Since we all agree that the fuel gauge is totally fucked up,
can
> > anyone answer the following for me:
> >
> > a) how many litres or gallons does the tank actually hold?
> > b) how many miles would you expect that to give you on
average -
> > using up every last drop?
> > c) how many miles should you have left when the yellow
> > fuel-depletion light comes on (for the last time, which mine
> > does at around the 100-105 mile mark)?
> >
> > Has anyone actually driven round with a jerrycan full of
fuel so
> > that they can run the bike completely dry?
> >
> > My dealer originally told me to get petrol within about 20
miles
> > of the light coming on, but when I do that, it invariably
takes
> > only about 13-13.5 litres of fuel - which seems incredibly
low
> > compared to the Trophy I had before.
> >
> > Seems like I'm always the first to refuel for fear of
running