Re: Fuel tank vent hose

At 09:54 AM 07/02/1999 -0500, dan & ann curcio wrote:
>Eric,
>The lines were installed at the time I tested them.  I checked them by
>disconnecting them at the tank,  connecting a small length of spare
windshield
>washer tubing to the end and blowing air through with my mouth.  When
>connecting the tubing at the tank end of the vent lines, the air flowed
easily
>through both lines.  When attached at the bottom where they pass through the
>retaining wire clip on the frame, the plain line flowed easily and the check
>valve line had no flow.  Both lines were easily pulled up or down through the
>frame and show no signs of pinching or binding.  Is this correct?  I also
>filled the tank yesterday and there was no vacuum.  The bike seems to run the
>same either way.

Dan,

First - thanks for adding your name to the email address - was getting
tired of changing ann to dan ;-) ......

The way you want to check it is from the bottom. The line that is venting
the tank (through the filler cover) should allow you to blow into the tank.
As fuel is drained a vacuum is created in the tank and in order to equalize
the pressure, air from the line must be able to flow in. If it does not -
then that is what your problem is. I believe all new ST's have the rollover
valve removed (except for CA spec bikes) and that is what I did - removed it.

My bike did not experience a problem until I had over 2k on it. Even so, it
only happened once, but being stranded with the bike not starting started
to worry me a bit. As soon as I opened the tank, it started right up - and
up to the point I removed the valve, I did not have another problem.

- - Eric