Re: heated grips switch

Eric Sheley wrote:
> Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 15:41:11 -0400
> From: Eric Sheley <eric@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: heated grips switch
>
> yes - I can leave it on the run position when it is cold but the start
> position will cause my hands to sweat. If after extended riding, my hands
> get cold again, a short stay on start will warm the hands right back up
> again. If the heating was the same, then I would not get the extra warmth.....
>
> have you measured the resistance across the lines from the switch back to
> the relay? The installation instructions warn against cutting the wires to
> shorten them as the lengths were produced to produce a certain resistance
> to control the heat. Maybe one side (the run) has more resistance than the
> other.

Both switch positions appeared to be the same (the meter read identically).

> It may not have anything to do, but I can't tell without pulling the
> fairing to test it or get my hands on a schematic. The service manual shows
> a couple of pieces of the heated grip circuit, but not enough for me to
> diagram it.
>
> Do you feel that you are not getting two heat settings on yours?

I haven't installed it yet.  But I was thinking of using a different
(smaller) switch so that it would look better when installed in the
instrument panel ... so I wanted to figure out exactly how the thing
is supposed to work.

brian
briank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      (play)
briank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (work)