Re: greetings and thank yous

Bruce McCurdy wrote:
<snip>

> I picked up my ST on the first day of spring here in San Francisco, a
> sharp looking black one.  I'd like to thank Eric for the idea of
> photographing the grand uncrating.  I asked my dealer, Nick Hayman at
> Munroe Motors, for the privilege and it was a real hoot.  Better than
> Christmas!

Hiya! I'm also here in S.F. and ordered my  black ST from Nick. I was
able to find it quicker from Wilson's down in Fresno so wouldn't be
suprised if that's "my" ST you have!

> I'm averaging about 1000 miles a month so far, a little commuting, but
> most of which is weekend recreational riding in the SF Bay Area.  So far
> I've only added a tank bra, tank bag, Gorilla alarm, and the carbon
> silencer to the basic model.  The race can is a must have, as some of
> you have already observed, but I agree that the mapping is off a tad.
> I'm starting to see a little carbon soot on the tip of the exhaust as
> the mix is a little rich.  But the throttle became noticeably crisper
> with the new can and the sound!  The sound keeps me grinning like an
> idiot all day.  Not so loud, but very sweet.  I've noticed throttle
> blipping at stops is not advisable, however.  My last ride, a Triumph
> Trident with Micron cans, begged to have her throttle wrung, but the ST
> will occasionally just up and die when I do the same to her.  A function
> of the otherwise excellent fuel injection?

My guess is it's a function of the CO being off slightly. Monroe, as far
as I know, doesn't have a gas analyzer so there's no way for them to set
it except install, drive around the block, tweek, repreat....

<snip>

> I also have a question on riding style.  A number of my buddies have
> attended track schools, mostly Reg Pridmore's school.  They appear to
> advocate weighting up the inside footpeg in a turn and hanging off
> slightly (when necessary).  Conversely, I am also seeing several new
> schools on dirt riding where they seem to teach the opposite, weighting
> the outside peg while keeping the body up over the CG to slide the rear
> purposely.  My question, has anybody tried this on an ST?  If I'm
> sliding the rear already while weighting the inside peg, how loose will
> the rear get with the opposing style?   Frankly, as an intermediate
> level rider (70,000 miles in seven years on four different cycles) and
> as one who relies on my bike as my sole transportation, I have been
> hesitant to experiment.

According to Keith Code in "Twist of the Wrist II" (an excellent book)
you should be weighting the inside peg. He specifically points out
that's opposite from dirt riding....

<snip>

> Bruce McCurdy
>
> I may be going to Hell in a bucket, baby,
> but at least I'm enjoying the ride!

We should go for a ride sometime.I'm just getting my baby back from the
Stainless performance can install tonight :)

- --
Brian W.