ALERT: Sump plug problem

Yesterday Goblin (my shiny black three eyed creature of the night) had her
10,000km (6,000mi) service. This morning there was a small patch of oil
underneath which had dripped from the sump plug. Triumph forgot to include
the right size allen key in the toolkit, so I took her back to the
workshop.

Anders said that he'd replaced the old aluminium sump plug washer with a
brass one. Don't know if this is relevant or not.

So Anders got the allen wrench on the sump plug and torqued it up a bit,
but he didn't like the feel of it - mushy and not keeping the torque on.
When the plug was taken out, the head was found to be shearing off the
shaft. Must have started when it was being tightened during the oil change.
My plug was replaced with a BMW item and Triumph will be sent the original.

Maybe this is a freak occurance, but it wouldn't hurt to look for any oil
weeping from your sump plug, especially after an oil change.

Lorin O'Brien
Black Sprint ST (Goblin)