New to list

        Hi, I'm Dan from upstate NY. I'm new to the ST list, but not new to
being on the internet or using lists. I subscribed because I'm thinking
about getting myself a Sprint St.... an idea that was only enhanced after
riding one at the Triumph demo at Americade last month. I loved the bike.
        My current ride is a '97 Harley-Davidson Sportster Sport. Just in
case anyone thinks going to the Sprint will be a big improvement, let me
warn you now; to equal the reliability of my Sportster, the Sprint will
have to go 22,000 miles without a single hiccup, never fail to start and
look showroom new for two years.        Unfortunately, the Sprint comes
with a built-in handicap: the 6,000 mile valve adjust/check interval that
one Triumph dealer told me yesterday will cost me approx. $300. Although
I've worked as a motorcycle mechanic I no longer want to do the maintenance
myself; and since I put on about 1,000 miles per month, this feature is
going to cost me about $600 per year. Hmmmm..... money better spent on
tires.
        Now, you may be inclinded to assert that that $600 is buying me
lots of additional performance, but my Sporty's been slightly modified to
give about 10 more ftlbs. torque than the Sprint, if only (about) 20 fewer
hp. and SuperTwins-like handling. My total investment in the Sportster is
roughly equal to the cost of the Sprint.
        So, what's my point? NONE! I'm merely introducing myself to a great
group of people who share with me enthusiasm for a terrific British-built
motorcycle that I'm currently lusting after! <G> But, I figgered it's only
fair to tell a little bit about myself and where I'm coming from if I'm
gonna be a subscriber to this list.
        So:

QUESTION: Why is it that Honda's VFR can have a much longer valve
adjust/check interval that the Sprint ST, despite the Honda's much higher
rev limit?

        Dan (upstate NY)

PS. I have a pet peeve: people who quote entire messages to respond to one
point in the message.