Re: New to list

>         Hi, I'm Dan from upstate NY. I'm new to the ST list,

Welcome to the list Dan.

> have to go 22,000 miles without a single hiccup, never fail to start and
> look showroom new for two years.   Unfortunately, the Sprint comes
> with a built-in handicap: the 6,000 mile valve adjust/check interval that

The Harley does have an advantage maintenance wise over the Sprint. I'm a
Buell owner and I have to say that the best thing about that bike is the
engine, other than consuming a quart of oil every 1,500 miles it seems
pretty reliable.

> QUESTION: Why is it that Honda's VFR can have a much longer valve
> adjust/check interval that the Sprint ST, despite the Honda's much higher
> rev limit?

The Honda valve shims are totally different than the Triumph, shim under
bucket I think. Honda has this valve thing pretty well figured out. I had an
ST1100 that I put 54,000 on and never had a single valve go out of
adjustment. I'm really hoping that my experience with replacing 4 shims at
6,000 miles on the Sprint is a fluke. I really don't want to have to go
through that every 6,000 miles.

The Sprint really is a nice bike and I don't think it is at all comparable
to your Sportster, I think the closest comparison to that might be the
Thunderbird Sport, which is a pretty darn nice bike too.

Paul & Dee Steinbacher
1999 Sprint ST
1997 Buell M2