Re: heat

TrmpetDave@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Remembering that I was not riding a BMW, I investigated a little
> more, and finally decided it must be hot air from under the trailing edge of the fairing that was roasting the undersides of my thighs.

> Has any one else experienced this?

> Unless there is a solution, I think my otherwise lovely ST will become my around-town commuter, which it is not particularly good at, and my winter-touring bike.

Dave,

I have noticed heat coming of the bike and onto my thighs, but primarily
at slow speeds (40 mph or less) or stop and go riding.  When I get
moving, it is not really a problem.  I am riding in Houston, Texas,
(read high humidity and heat) and the surrounding areas, and have been
out the almost every weekend since the beginning of the summer, and
certainly at times when the heat index had certainly been in the high
90s or over 100. I generally wear jeans (preferably draggin' jeans) and
a First Gear TKO jacket.  Perhaps I have just gotten used to this
feature or my heat tolerance has built up so I can take it.

You did not mention what type of leg covering you were wearing.  It
sounds like you have a jacket that you are now happy with. The only
time I flirted with heat stroke was at the beginning of the summer when
I put on my TKO and my Tourmaster pants and went for one of those slow
rides to my dealer.  Then I was frying.  After I changed to something
that was a little more breathable (jeans, preferably draggin' jeans), I
was o.k.  My husband and I have ordered perfed Vanson leather pants (in
battleship gray, not black!).  When we get them (probably sometime in
August) I'll let you know how they work.  In the meantime, depending on
what type of leg protection you were wearing, you may want to check out
the available alternatives and see if there is something else that will
provide an acceptable level of protection for you and that breaths more
so as to not trap so much of the heat coming off of the bike.

Also, when riding in high heat, we stop every hour or hour and a half,
stretch, and drink a big drink (water or gatorade).  If you are not
already doing this (and you may be), try it.  It will make a big
difference in you heat tolerance, keep you hydrated, and help prevent
heat stroke.

Hope this helps a bit!

Lisa