Re: Valve Clearances

At 02:02 AM 07/13/1999 -0400, TrmpetDave@xxxxxxx wrote:

 >I thought that a little tightening of the valves was normal in a new engine,
 >due to expected wear and tear, which is why the first valve clearance check
 >should be done fairly early in a high performance engine, which most
 >motorcycles have. Thinner shims, where required should cure it.

Dave,

You are correct in your statement that a little tightening of the valves is
expected as the valves bed in (not so much wear and tear as a settling in).
Once thinner shims are installed you should be all set until the next check
where you would expect to find only a minor difference if any.

For all,

The problem that I see with our compilation of data at 6000 miles (or
somewhere close to that) is that we are recording data that really doesn't
tell us anything about the motor in question. We are taking 1 piece of data
and from that we are assuming the beginning data and attempting to predict
a result at some point in the future. Take a point on a piece of paper and
see how many lines you can draw at different angles that go through that
point (should be a lot more than one!). Now try the same thing with two
points (drawing a line that goes through both) ..... It's rather crude
example I know, but I hope you can see the point.

The first thing that we have to know is where the clearances were when the
bike was delivered. As we don't know, we can't make any intelligent
conclusions at 6000 miles other than whether they are currently out of spec
or not. Also we cannot predict where the clearances will be at the
recommended 12000 mile check. Just because a valve has the minimum .10 mm
clearance at 6000 miles, we cannot say that it will be any different at
12000. For all we know the bike was delivered with minimum clearance or
dropped to .10 in the first 500 miles and hasn't moved any more in the
following 5500 miles .......

Please don't get me wrong - I am not saying that there is not a problem
here - I am only saying that we are reading far too much into a single
piece of data.

Unless I have a performance problem (or hear a problem), I will wait to see
what happens at 12000.

- - Eric