Miscellaneous Musings

Just got back from the WSBK race in Laguna Seca. Had a great time. Of the
thousands of sport and sport-touring bikes I saw converging on Monterey, in
town, at the track, on Cannery Row Saturday night and leaving on Monday, I
only saw 4-5 STs. Even the rather prominent Triumph presence at the Expo
used a customer ST as their only example. Must still be in short supply.

One point, I attended the AMA Sears Point race in April. Triumph offered
demo rides. They didn't for Laguna Seca. A real shame.

>>I get nothing but compliments on the looks of the bike and in the last
month or so have relaxed enough about my new baby to swap rides with a few
of my regular riding buddies. Again, universal enthusiasm abounds, with
even my hardcore Honda buddy agreeing that the ST is simultaneously as
exciting and forgiving as his beloved VFR.<<

I did the same with a buddy who has a new VFR. He didn't like the VFR's
stock suspension and added an Olin rear shock and had his forks worked on
by Race Tech. On the smooth parts, the VFR worked fine but when the
pavement was anything less than smooth, it was a real handful. Speaking on
handful, the fuel injection was ridiculously touchy on the VFR. I had to
ride it in a higher gear to stop it from lurching in the corners. The VFR
also lacks torque when you compare it to the ST. If I could go fast with
one gear on the ST, I had to downshift for the turns and upshift for the
straights on the VFR.

When it was time to switch bikes, everyone wanted to ride the ST (including
my friend on the Speed Triple). The VFR owner was already trying to justify
owning the VFR (i.e., with the suspension mods, he can't get his money
back) and the ST. He said how easy it was to ride fast.

>>After side-by-side comparisons with a Honda VFR and SuperHawk, I was a
little surprised at how loose the rear end felt on the ST. I had quickly
gotten used to it without even realizing it and was becoming comfortably
accustomed to the feel of the rear tire breaking loose from time-to-time.
It always hooks back up smoothly so it never bothered me. Now, I'm not
exactly Ricky Racer, but I do like a spirited jaunt. I've been thinking
about trying a softer tire and wondered if anybody had fitted the stickier
version of the Bridgestone BT56 (I think it's a BT56S). I've been following
the threads about the Pirelli's with great interest as well.<<

I recently replaced the stock BT57s with 207s front and rear. During and
after break in, the tire inflation on the Dunlop was as set by the tire
changer, namely, 32 front and 34 back. At first I didn't like the Dunlop,
they didn't feel planted. Then I inflated them to 'Triumph recommended'
pressures, something like 36 front and 42 rear. It made all the difference
in the world. I think you need the additional pressure because the bike
(mine in particular with hard bags, etc.) is heaver than a stripped VTR,
VFR, etc. And frankly, the Triumph suspension is so 'good out of the box',
you don't need the tires to do the work of the suspension.

>> Subject: MX4T oil
>>
>> I would like to know what the difference is between Mobil's MX4T oil and
the
>> Triumph branded Mobil 1 oil for motorcycles.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Richard D. White

Richard, thanks for the reprint.

Mark Ressa