Re: heat AND fuel consumption

Hi Tim,
Could it be that Triumph have got the cooling very sorted - i.e. the engine runs very nice and cool most of the time - on mine the fan certainly comes on in heavy traffic through town.
With the cold-water temp. by-pass circuit for the radiator and the EFI controlled fan cooling after switch off, this engine should last a long time?
I have been getting 350km off a tank (about 190 miles) - 382km ran it dry once (oops).
cheers
Jon

>>> "Leatherbiker" <leatherbiker@xxxxxxxxxxx> 13/07/99 20:02:19 >>>
Ironically, there's a heatwave here in London and even I find it
too hot biking round on my ST at the moment.
I had a friend on the back for the last week, so the engine was
under more pressure than usual, and given the high temperatures
we're having, the lack of wind, the slowness of the traffic in
London and so on, it got very hot. I found it too much, sitting
up front and having someone pressing in from the back as well,
even in jeans and a t-shirt!
Having said that, the Trophy was much worse, I found, since it
had a bigger fairing and produced even more heat.
Not sure Triumph have got the engine cooling skills honed down
to a tee just yet.

Also, other people who told me they were getting 200 miles out
of their ST before refuelling - did you mean touring?
I tried going past the normal limit the other day and
experienced the ST stalling for the first time ever - at a mere
145 miles - but admittedly I'd been doing round-town driving for
a full tank, so maybe that's the explanation.

Tim