Luggage options

        Has anyone here elected to NOT get the hard saddlebags but rather
to get ONLY the topcase and required luggage rack / topcase mount? I'm
thinking about this as an option since I don't really like the looks of the
saddlebags on the bike, the low muffler or the brackets that remain on the
bike with the bags off.         Besides, with the top case installed, my
passenger would have a backrest and OTOH, with the topcase off the bike,
you still have the small luggage rack if you need it.
        With just the topcase, two people could take an overnighter,
staying in a motel.
        Finally, if I want to take a long solo camping trip, I can load my
RevPack Tour Pack behind me, which will fit my tent..... while still having
the topcase for extra storage.
        Any opinions of this?
        Dan (upstate NY)